So what helps dre and I keep our bill under control is planning.
It’s easy to head to grocery store and BUY ALL THE HEALTHY THINGS!! But healthy food (and junk food) can add up quick!
So I find the more we plan the less we spend.
So before you go shopping, sit down with your bf and plan out all your meals and snacks for the week. Healthy doesn’t have to equal gourmet. So keep it simple. Save the really extravagant meals for special occasions or date nights.
Keep the base of your weekly meals the same and add sides that can change things up.
Oatmeal and granola make great breakfast bases. You can add fruits, peanut butter, and spices to change the flavors incase you don’t want the same thing in the morning.
Lunch, wraps are really easy to make and can have lots of varieties. So plan for a week of wraps for lunch and buy different things for wraps (spinach, carrots, hummus, etc)
Brown rice is very versatile and can be added to many things to keep it fun (veggie stir fry, baked chicken) etc. And last nights rice can be placed into a wrap for the next day to make a burrito style wrap.
My menu/ shopping list:
- frozen blueberries
- peanut butter
(I mix up the flavors in the morning so I don’t get bored with oats)
- fruits ( buy fruits in season. They will be cheaper)
- protein bars: I look for the 10/10 sales (Luna and cliff bars typically have these sales)
Tortillas for wraps
Spinach (can be used for salads too)
Or other spread of choice
Deli meats if you eat them
- brown rice
- large bags of prep veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
- dre likes chicken breast so we bake a bunch and then I can use it for his lunch wraps if he wants.
- bread: sandwiches for lunch or breakfast toast
- mixed nuts (great for a snack)
- soy milk/milk for making smoothies with the fruit you buy